Friday 22 October 2010

Realism required on state pension age

The news in the Government's Spending Review that the age of receiving the state pension is to rise to 66 by 2020 did not comer as particular surprise to me.

I am of an age where this relates directly to me, but I don't feel it is a problem.
  • We are all living longer, so it is logical that we should work longer.
  • The country is in dire financial straits, so it is logical that the state can't afford to pay our pensions so readily.
  • The are more older people now than ever before, so it is logical that the stae can't afford to pay our pensions so readily.
  • We are all fitter and healthier in our 50s and 60s now than ever before, so it is logical to work longer.
It probably depends on what work you do.

Personally I feel that I will be more than happy to continue my current work beyond when I turn 66, but I can understand that some manual workers may not feel the same way.

Apparently in France they are disgusted by the idea that the state pension age there will rise from 60 to 62.

Hmmm, where is "Brussels" when you need a bit of European harmony? The French need to take a dose of realism.

No comments:

Post a Comment