Friday 30 October 2009

What's in a business name?

I was discussing my friend's start-up business with him earlier on today. He is closing in on a business plan and thinking about pricing for his new service.

But he hasn't got a name for the business yet.

The questions are:
  • Should the name reflect what the business does (e.g. Carpets 4 U)?
  • Should the business be named after him (e.g. Sainsbury's)?
  • Should the name be a brand (e.g. Virgin)?
I think the last one is out. Whether Richard Branson got lucky or not, I don't know, but I think it's the hardest thing to build up a brand name, especially when my friend has ONE particular service in mind.

Similary, businesses given the name of the founder give no indication of what they're about.

I think these days it is best to have a name that indicates what the business does in some way. The name should also be able to double up as a website address if at all possible. Then the name will also become a brand.

There are further questions. Should the name steer away from plurals as this gives rise to apostrophe abuse? In the same way Sainsbury's would be a no-no because it uses an apostrophe. Let's keep away from obvious trip hazards.

My advise is to keep it simple, keep it singular, let the name do the talking and double it up as a web address.

No comments:

Post a Comment