Wednesday 9 September 2009

Annoying bank charges



When I first started in business in 2002, I was able to open a bank account with Bank of Scotland with minimal charges. The only thing they charged for was cheques. Everything else was free.

Unfortunately, that bank account has gone as the business it was for was merged with another business I ran, and the latter's bank account prevailed (out of necessity).

Charges appear to be "a fact of life", but they are frustrating for small businesses, and represent a higher percentage of our outgoings than for larger businesses. I was once phoned by the bank and asked (among other things) what was the worst aspect of business banking. "The charges," I replied. I never heard anything more about it.

My bank (Lloyds TSB) used to include a sheet of charges with my bank statements every month, but recently I have noticed this has changed. Now, separately, the bank sends an "invoice" for their charges. What's this all about? Because it's an invoice, am I happier about it? Do I not notice it? Is it easier to pay?

No, no and no!

You all know what they charge for, you're all charged similarly. But here's the list:

Payments OUT:
Direct Debits, Standing Orders, Internet or Phonebank Debits.

Payments IN:
Automated Credits, Credits paid in, Faster Payment Credits, Cheques paid in.

Plus, of course:

Account maintenance fee.

Here you are bank. Have your cake and eat it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment