Thursday 14 July 2011

Selling items is so much easier now

I've just sold an item on ebay that was used by my business. It was a piece of equipment that can be used again, but it was no longer right for my business.
I turned to ebay to auction the item off. Starting at £50 and hoping for around £200, I eventually sold the item for well over £300. I am delighted with that piece of business.

Before the advent of the Internet - and particularly ebay in this instance (say, over ten years ago) - I would have had to try to sell the item by other means, for example an advert in the local paper. I would have had to set the price (probably £200) and hope that people viewing the ad would be interested enough to call and arrange to come and see the item. On ebay, of course, you can post a picture (several, if you wish) so that potential buyers can see it immediately and make some sort of judgement about condition. I would have made less money at greater inconvenience in "the old days".

Although there may be some downsides to ebay (though I've never experienced any), this way of selling is a vast improvement on what we had available to us a decade ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment