Wednesday 3 August 2011

Speculative emails can work

Anyone who runs their own business will inevitably use email and have a website. This will equally inevitably lead to insolicited emails arriving in their in-box from time to time.

Most are spam, but some are genuine enquiries with a view to mutually beneficial ways of working.

I receive loads and most are spam. If they are written to "website owner" or "[blank]" or "to whom it may concern" or similar, then I ignore them straight away. If, however, they are written to "Garry" or "Pierrepont Consulting" (especially the former), then I might give them the benefit of the doubt and read them. After all, at least they have bothered to read the website (even it is by their software!). I also like them to have something that looks like a real name at the bottom - not just a website address - and like them to be based in the UK.

If I do write and send a reply, then the second test is whether they reply to that quickly and personally. (i.e. are they real? do they exists?)

If that happens then a discussion may take place. I have actually met up with people who sent speculative emails on three occasions, and two of them led to working with each other.

I have another meeting on a similar basis this afternoon (in fact he's just called to change the time!). I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment