Thursday 2 December 2010

Work from home - let it snow

It's on days like this, with four inches of snow lying on the ground outside (I live in Surrey) that I'm glad that I work from home. I do not have to go out today, when the roads are likely to be treacherous and public transport undoubtedly badly affected.

In spite of the weather I can carry on with my business. This is a great boon, and one which home-working and the Internet have brought about. I am sure that in 2010 there are many more thousands of people who can continue to work normally, despite the terrible recent and ongoing weather, when compared with twenty years ago.

I have no demographics, but I'm fairly sure that nearly everyone travelled to their place of work back in 1990. In 2010, most people still do, but many now don't. Whether that has any great impact on the country's economy, I don't know, but maybe if we look forward another twenty years, the increase in home-working will by then make a difference to the economy on bad weather days, and to the amount of traffic on the roads (decrease it!) when the weather's good.

No day off for me when it's snowed. Back to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment